Now That's Bokeh...



Not much room here for discussion of nisen, ring, swirly bokeh or other weird types - just a general blasting of the background from the 135mm f0.95 lens on the Speed Graphic now on Ebay. I did ask in the previous post what the bokeh might look like and reader Alex B. duly obliged by pinging me the URLs of some images.

Alex said, "I actually contacted the seller for some samples, when he had another auction for the same setup. And here is what it looks like, in case anyone is interested".

Out-of-focus backgrounds don't come much creamier than this but I can't see an awful lot of sharpness. Whether that's the result of trying to hand-hold a 5x4 press camera at night with wafer thin depth of field and a large focal plane shutter or if it's because the lens is chock full of the type of aberrations that tend to result in better bokeh, I don't know.

It's certainly an interesting look, though!

* I've used the pic here in good faith as I doubt the seller would be averse to a bit of publicity for the Ebay auction. I'm only too happy to remove the photo if it causes any problems.


You might also like:

A Quick LF Print


3 comments:

  1. Now this is a piece of gear I would want to have just to, well, have it. No idea what I'd use it for. Take very soft images of things mostly out of focus I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you managed that quite well with the equipment you have just now, Jan. Just pulling your leg. :)

    The SPEED Graphic would certainly have limited uses and I can't think of too many off the top of my head. Don't know if I'd have the strength to lift it either...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 135 mm f0.95 for large format? Can depth of field be negative? :-)

    ReplyDelete