Luminosity

 


Luminosity. What a lovely word. So descriptive but not in a matter-of-fact way. There’s some room for interpretation. Ask ten people and you’ll probably get a few different meanings. People can be luminous, as can starry skies. A forest in the right light can be luminous. So can prose.

A photographic print can also have luminosity but here’s where the versatile nature of the word starts to cause a problem. Because what, exactly, is a luminous print? What does one look like? How does one achieve such an uncommon thing?

A luminous print sounds ominously like the Leica glow, a nebulous entity that many talk about in reverence but far fewer have ever experienced. Although the two may seem to share some qualities, they’re actually more like two adjacent circles in a Venn diagram, happily existing apart from each other and only occasionally threatening to share a tangential point before veering off to do their own thing.

I spent an afternoon this week contemplating print luminosity and emerged intrigued by the concept. I first heard of it when Michael Johnston of The Online Photographer fame penned an article (it should be available here) for The Luminous Landscape (of all websites) about “the glow”. He wrote of, "That rich, soft, pearly look that some master prints have."

Mike even went as far as to proffer a recipe of sorts (heavily edited below) that might be helpful in achieving the glow. 

1. Use an older lens. An old, fast "long normal" lens‚ a 58mm f/1.4 or 1.2‚ works wonderfully.
2. Use a K2 filter‚ Wrattan #8, medium yellow, whatever you want to call it.
3. Shoot in good light away from the sun, and don’t provoke flare. Shade the lens. Stay away from very high contrast situations.
4. Don’t use a thin-emulsion film‚ stick with old-fashioned conventional emulsions.
5. Expose enough.
6. Use a conventional, traditional developer.
7. Don’t develop too much. Say, 10% or 20% less than the manufacturer recommends for outdoor scenes, no more than the manufacturer recommends for flat indoor scenes.
8. Use a diffusion enlarger.
9. Use a rich fiber-base paper.
10. Don’t print with too much contrast.

The complete recipe goes into much more detail as you'll see if your read Mike's article in the link above.

I’ve always meant to give it a go and might yet get round to it. Then Phil Rogers, esteemed editor and author of Fogblog, told me in an email about US photographer Steve Mulligan (we were discussing film/dev combos and Steve likes FP4 in HC110, as does Phil). I looked at Steve’s website and enjoyed one of his articles about luminosity.

That led me to Minor White - you’ll find out why if you read Steve’s article - and I went and tracked down one of Minor’s books on archive.org (you need to sign up but it's free and takes two minutes) to see for myself the kind of image that meets the standard. I seem to have a lousy eye for subtle differences between films, developers and lenses but even I, a half-blind pseudo aesthete, could understand what the fuss was about. Some of Minor’s prints - even seen as dodgy scans in a book reproduction - seem to have an other-worldliness about them. I can imagine the originals lighting up a darkened room.



Have I ever made a print that I would describe as “luminous”? I racked my brain for a while but came up with a blank. In pursuit of this goal, I think the exposure for a scene must be perfect and then the development must place the highlight tones just so. The negative has to be a good fit for the paper’s sensitivity curve and everything about print exposure and development must be spot on. When everything is right - including the light at the taking stage - then a luminous print has a chance to shine. It’s no wonder, then, that such a print remains outwith the everyday capabilities of the average photographer although, happy accidents can and do happen.

I included the two prints of Dunino Church in Fife here because I feel they’re possibly the closest I've come to a luminous print. They were taken about ten months ago within 20 minutes of each other - front and back views of the church in the mist - on the Rollei SL66E. Whereas the front view had a somewhat ethereal feel to it, the rear view had a lovely gothic atmosphere. There were some delicate wee bits in the rear view that I wanted to make sure could be seen, such as the highlights on the eaves visible between the two trees closest to the camera and the iron railing just to the left of the ivy-covered gate pillar at the right hand side. I set up with the 80mm to start with but it messed with the relationships of the various small details so I used the 150mm instead.

These shots fulfilled some of Mike's criteria and I have some hope that, with a bit of work, they might approach the luminous mark. The negatives look good and I’ve maybe got to try one or two things to see if that shy and retiring inner glow can be coaxed out of the silver gelatin.

I’ll let you know how that goes. In the meantime, I think I’ll look out my 1960s Takumar 50mm F1.4, a roll of XP2 and a yellow filter and search for the right light to put Mike’s recipe to the test. As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce - esteemed editor indeed?!
    Wynn Bullock printed luminously and he was a fan of underexposure and overdevelopment - there seems to be great differences in what can cause it, and if I can add my twopenneth into the mix, I would say Graded paper, not Multigrade. For some reason I find graded prints have more of an overall 'finess' to them if that is the right word - that's not to disparage MG, but it is a product of convenience. For myself, I think a move to using graded paper as much as possible might be on the cards.
    Oh and the single coated or uncoated lens thing, yes, on the whole, that slight amount of veiling glare works towards that end.
    I very much like the second photograph - you;ve captured the atmosphere of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve Mulligan recommends over-exposure! Are we back to the Leica glow with this subject? They definitely share one similarity: I don’t think I’ve ever seen side-by-side comparison prints of the same subject showing glow/no glow. Say you look at a photograph and think it has “the glow”, how do you know it’s not just a product of the light? The image might be glowing almost regardless of any voodoo. Maybe master printers are just bloody good photographers! You could be right re graded/multigrade but there’s one way to prove it - side-by-side comparisons! It would make a good post for your blog.

      Delete
  2. I remember Mr. Johnston's ten points back when he first wrote them. Another thing he wrote that stuck in my mind is that Nikkor lenses produce "pasty looking skin tones". All of it is bollocks IMO :) I possibly could concede the tenth point, but even then, could one say that Brandt's Snicket In Halifax, probably printed on grade 5, is not luminous?

    The first photo is too literal for my taste. But the second one, the post (or tree stump?) covered with ivy gone wild at the top, desperately looking for something to grab to continue its climb, and the whole curve of the ivy covered wall (doesn't it look like a giant snail?), the church facade on the edge of disappearing in mist, with the "steps" on the roof...very subtle, very satisfying...for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omar,
      Interesting comment. Have you ever seen a luminous print in real life? Have you ever made one? If you read Steve Mulligan's article you'll see that he's completely convinced that they're real. He even has his own recipe of sorts. But are they something extra-special or just a well-made print from a good negative taken in good light? All of Mike's "ingredients" seem designed to keep contrast down but I can't believe the way to a glowing print is just through an expanded tonal range. The Snicket is certainly a case in point.

      Delete
    2. Well, Bruce, I suppose everyone has their own personal criteria or categories within which they judge a print. When looking at a print I can't ever remember judging it by what some call "luminosity" or "glow". The late Dave Vestal was looking for "lively tones" and that's pretty much what I strive at when printing. I also consider whether the tones are appropriate to the photograph. And these days I’m a sucker for very subtle tonal variations in the highlights and go to great length to get them right. Anyway, it’s all opinions. If you and I both looked at the same print, what you’d call luminous maybe I would call lively. Who knows…

      Thinking about your first question, whether I have seen a luminous print, at the moment I can recall just one where it really struck me, an exquisite portrait of Albert Schweitzer by Gene Smith, printed by the great man himself. The tones were sooo juicy, almost like molten metal, but I suspect the impression of luminosity was mainly due to Schweitzer’s heavily pot ferried white hair.

      I know this is not what Mr. Mulligan considers as the glow, but shoot Fomapan 100 in backlit situations, and you’ll get amazing glow on every rim light. Seems like this is number 4 on Mr. Johnstons's list :)

      Delete
    3. Vestal was a very sensible, down-to-earth man. I really need to make more of an effort to see original prints.

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and I do like your images. Would you like to expand on your reasoning for using XP2 (and a yellow filter). Thanks.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom,
      A fast, old 50mm and a yellow filter are two of the ingredients of Mike's recipe so I'd blame them on him. The XP2 idea came about because I'm not really geared up for processing just now and it's easier and cheaper to have XP2 trade processed than a "normal" black and white film. It also has other qualities such as excellent highlight control and a very good grain:speed ratio and I like shooting handheld where possible. There would be no particular reason to use XP2 over, say, FP4 or HP5, for Mike's exercise other than the fact that it's what I'm using just now. Having said that, it does have a long tonal scale, with particularly nice mid and highlight tones, and Steve Mulligan, in the article linked to in the post, believes they're crucial to "the glow".

      Delete
  4. Sorry for late reply. Having seen the Ansel exhibition in Edinburgh a number of years back, there were certain of his prints that glowed - not all of them, however what did shine through was the exceptional quality of the photographs and the prints themselves, the physical media. You couldn't put your finger on glow, but it was there, from the Adobe Church through to some leaves and stuff in very muted lighting - it's a head scratcher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bruce

    I couldn't read the "Glow" article unfortunately because I don't have a subscription and couldn't get past their paywall. Fortunately I was able to find another location on Mike's blog (The Online Photographer). In case others have the same problem I've included the link below.

    https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2018/05/classic-mike-the-glow.html

    Thanks for pointing it to me

    Regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete