More HP5 woes



Following on from my previous post about mottled HP5, here’s another example of the fault. The question is, can I use it to my advantage?

The pictures are from the very last roll of the defective film I had and, believe it or not, are from 6x9 negative scans. They’re possibly the roughest MF shots you’ve seen for a long time. However, I was looking at them and wondering if the mottling has maybe given them a somewhat pictorial quality. What do you think?

I could maybe enter them in a camera club competition and tell them I used my William Mortensen Photoshop filter on the images. It could work.


They look a bit like they’ve been printed through grease-proof paper, a minor fad in the early 90s if I remember correctly.

It’s a pity they came out the way they did as I quite like both shots. One is of the outdoor swimming pool at Cellardyke in Fife and the other is the harbour wall/breakwater at St Monans a couple of miles down the coast.

I’ll get round to printing them at some stage and I think they’ll look better than they do in the scans. Whether the mottling is too great to put up with remains to be seen.

3 comments:

  1. For my part, straight printing can be boring, and pictorialism is by far my favorite era/style of photography. As they stand, they’re just at the first stage of a potentially creative process and new way of looking at your images. One person’s gimmick is another person’s style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herman Creephouse9 October 2023 at 10:44

    You might well find they're not too bad printed. It does have that pictorialist thing. WAAAAAAAY back, using an SLR, I used to breathe on my lens and then watch as the mist cleared and take a picture - worked really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the same issue. I normally shoot 5x4 but occasionally use a Yashica 124. I've never encountered this before, despite using old film/much-travelled film/using in damp conditions etc so I don't think dev/fix/humidty are to blame.... Interestingly there's a post in DPReview (yes!) Sept 2020 of someone with exactly this problem. Ilford appears to have acknowledged a problem, and gave a link and form to fill.
    In the last year I have also

    ReplyDelete