Death to Spammers


I've been on the receiving end of so many spam comments that I'm going to have ask that anyone leaving a comment (thank you all!) from now on appends a name to it, even if it's a pseudonym. Obviously it would be nice if you left your real name but I totally understand the preference some people have to keep their web presence as quiet as possible.

The bottom line is that I can no longer accept anonymous comments. I'm getting several hundred a week and, since a few bona fide commenters leave anonymous comments, I have to check each one to make sure I don't miss anything. It takes quite a while to do this.

If I know there will be no legitimate comments left anonymously by readers then I can just delete all the spam comments without reading them. I've left a message to that effect on the comments form. Since I can't personally track down and dispatch the spammers, this is my only option. Thanks for your understanding.

6 comments:

  1. I fully undestand and agree with you Bruce. If the comments legitimate puting your name ot it shouldn't be a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you add a "captcha" wouldn't that solve the problem of spammers? Not that I have a problem with attaching my name to comments...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're right, Tim, about the captcha but I hate them almost as much as I hate spammers. They're one more barrier to someone leaving a comment and I try to make that process as easy as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Computers defeat me. Something is always wrong. My wife helped me get a Google account once but I could never remember the password because I did not use it enough. So I just take the eazy path and post under 'anonymous'. I always however put my name at the bottom of the post.

    Like this;

    John Robison

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand, John, but from now on I'm afraid your posts will be deleted along with all other posts that appear in my mail box as anonymous. It's dead easy adding a name - any name - to your posts. Below the comments box it asks you to choose an identity. If you click where it says Name/URL all you have to do then is make up a name, eg Ghengis Khan, type it and hit the "publish your comment" button, no need to bother with the URL part and no passwords to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bruce, I didn't know that! I'll do that from now on.

    ReplyDelete