Another few from the quarry


All pics shot on an Olympus OM2 on Adox Silvermax developed in Spur HRX.
This one was taken with the 50mm f1.8 Zuiko, probably the best tenner you'll
spend on a lens.

I really have to go back and photograph this old, derelict place in 5x4. When photographs are all about texture and light and shade, there's nothing better than a good, big negative to capture it all. The pics here are some more scans from the roll I shot recently at Newtyle Quarry.

I've often marvelled at the way some rural settlements in the American Mid West have been abandoned but remained largely untouched but I suppose most countries have something similar and they just take on a different appearance depending in which part of the world you are.

35mm f2.8 Zuiko

The building in question here is a single-storey affair that is situated near the entrance to the quarry. The petrol pump, where the quarry vehicles presumably filled up before transporting their goods, is in an adjacent wooden shack. I've photographed it a couple of times now and still not got an image I'm happy with so if I return with the Speed Graphic I'll need to give it some more thought. Maybe I should lose the shack and just concentrate on the pump itself?

24mm f2.8 Zuiko

The set of kitchen scales in the first photograph can be seen in their general setting in the one above. What a weird-looking room with a sink, clothing scattered about, a wardrobe and chest of drawers, an old fridge, etc. Not sure what it's function would have been in a quarry setting!

3 comments:

  1. Would they have had a night-watchman? Lots of covetable stuff like explosives and self-propelling machinery in a quarry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mentioned in a later post that these images were flat. I've had trouble with flat subject looking wonderful with some of the films I use. But I have used Fomapan 100 (EI 50) on cloudy days and flat scenes and found it to be a good problem solver. I really don't like this film on sunny high contrast days like we have in my part of California, but give me a rainy day and I'm out in it with Fomapan 100.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Bruce, did you ever use any more Adox Silvermax 100, what are your thoughts about this film?

    ReplyDelete