Kodak Instamatic Makes a Comeback


www.theonlinedarkroom.com, analogue, analog, film, darkroom, kodak, silver gelatin, enlarging, printing

It was apparently one of Kodak's biggest successes and now a Colorado brewery has decided to recognise the important role that the former film giant played in their state by featuring the Instamatic on a new beer.

Kodak had a major presence in Windsor, Colorado for decades until it pulled out last year as part of the Kodak Alaris spin-off.

New Belgium Brewing seemed to have this in mind when it debuted it's new Snapshot ale earlier this week with a hand-painted Instamatic 104 image on the label.

The company said, "We thought it relevant to Snapshot and nostalgic and awesome."

6 comments:

  1. Did the Scots and Brits have Instamatics? I had that shown model, and have many shots I love from it. I took the lens out a few years ago, and mounted in a Leica to T mount adapter so now I can still use the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everywhere had an Instamatic! There are probably a few in a hut in the Amazon rainforest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 104 was the first camera I ever used. They built a lot of Instamatics locally at the Kodak factory here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was 14 when the Kodapak cartridge (126 size) was introduced in 1963. To a 14 year old it was just amazing, wow, I didn't have to thread film on my moms 616 box camera anymore. But no way was my folks going to spend money on such a frivolity, not when the box camera was still doing a fine job. So when I got out of the house and got a job I finally got my own camera, but not a 126. By that time I wanted something fancy and bought my first camera, a Minolta HiMatic 9, now long gone.

    John Robison

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just started getting New Belgium in Ohio... cant wait to drink this. Its about time someone combined my two loves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wheat beer? Yuck. Wish they would have brewed a pilsner...

    ReplyDelete