Matt Pringle medium format video


Here's a guy who I can really identify with. He's an ex-Newcastle photographer who now lives in Stirling just a 90-minute drive from my home in Carnoustie. I came across a video (below) he'd made of his images and saw some of my own photography in there.

When I checked out his website, it quickly became apparent why that should be. He says of his work, "My photography is heavily influenced by my love of film and I aim to capture images that have a cinematic feel to them. Solitude, peacefulness and remoteness are themes that are explored throughout my work."

I could have written that myself. Solitude, peacefulness and remoteness are good proxies for the type of photography I like best. Matt's not entirely film-based as he uses the odd digital thing as well but I enjoyed viewing his medium format photographs in the video and thought you might, too.

Matt says the images were taken using a variety of medium format cameras - Minolta Autocord, Kiev 60, Holga 120N and a Holga Pinhole - and the film used was Ilford HP5+ and Kodak Tri-X. Most of the cityscapes are from Stirling whilst the seascapes were taken in Northumberland, England.



After viewing, I'd urge you to take a look at Matt's website where there are links to his Flickr and 500PX portfolios as well. Isn't the internet a great way of killing time? It certainly does a sterling job of keeping me from all those DIY jobs around the house I should be tackling...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bruce,

    I see what you are saying about the similarities between your photos and Matt's. The atmosphere is very similar. I enjoyed seeing his work. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see another film buff producing some good work.

    Just out of interest, a good thing to do is too watch the video with the music on, and then watch it with all the emotion of the music turned off.

    For me anyway, the shots are not as cohesive as a group when you view with them in silence.

    I think it's important that when you add to a photo, either by presenting them with music, or as a diptych or triptych or even add a title you can really alter how your work is viewed.

    ReplyDelete